England Won’t “Force” Quarantining IPL Stars Back For New Zealand Test Series
England Team director Ashley Giles said that England has no plans to “rush” their Indian Premier League (IPL) players back for next month’s Test series against New Zealand and could introduce new players to cope with a packed schedule this summer. The postponement of the IPL because of the devastating coronavirus outbreak in the Bio-Bubble has left England with a much larger player pool than they thought for the two-Test series against New Zealand.
They could be available for the County Championship matches starting on May 20 before joining England”s “bubble” ahead of the Test series opener against New Zealand at Lord’s, which begins on June 2.
But even if the trio is in contention, England may have to call up fresh players given Ben Stokes and Dom Sibley are currently injured, while fast bowler Jofra Archer has only played one match with Sussex’s 2nd XI.
Among those competing for spots are Somerset’s quick Craig Overton, who won the last of his four caps in 2019, and Sussex pacer Ollie Robinson.
Uncapped Gloucestershire batsman James Bracey is averaging over 50 in the County Championship so far this summer.
“All the players (returning from the IPL) are currently in quarantine and have had a number of spells in quarantine and bubbles,” Giles said on Monday.